Python is one of the most emerging programming languages in the world. It is known for AI, data science, ML, etc. According to stack overflow, around 44% of users use python across the world. To write and execute the code in python, java, many companies and colleges prefer online compiler.
An online compiler is always preferred to an offline compiler. Why it is being preferred? Who is the best online python compiler? So, let’s know.
Is Python an interpreted or compiler language?
Many programmers believe that python is an interpreter language. Well, it is half-correct. To explain this, let me briefly define what is compiler and what is interpreter.
A compiler converts the source code directly into machine code. But in the case of an interpreter, first, the source code gets converted into bytecode, then it gets converted into machine code by the interpreter.
If a person is non-vegetarian, it does not mean he/she doesn’t eat greens. In the same way, Python is an interpreted language. It doesn’t mean it is not compiled.
Interpreter language takes more time than compiler to execute because it involves two processes. 1. converts source code into bytecode by compiler 2. then bytecode into machine code by the interpreter.
Why do we prefer an online compiler to an offline compiler?
- In the online compiler, there is no need to install any software or tools.
- Online compilers are cloud-based. So, there is no need for how much space left on your PC.
- You can access an online compiler from anywhere. All you need are the Internet and a browser.
- Online compilers save you lots of time and enhance your productivity.
- In an online compiler, You can collaborate with other programmers while offline, it is not possible.
Also read :- Best python text editors
List of Online compilers
There are multiple compilers available in the market. I have compiled the best online compiler which you can use to code in python without any trouble.
Repl.it is a lightweight online compiler that is used widely across the world. It has reported that more than one million users visit this website per month. It is available free and premium both. Here, you can write, compile and execute your code.
- You can share your code or projects with your teammates or other users.
- Repl.it organizes a test in which you can participate and show your skills and the winners will get awarded.
- It provides an API that you can use in any application.
- You can collaborate with other programmers.
- It supports GitHub collaboration. You can import files from GitHub to work on them.
Website link:- Repl.it online compiler
Ideone is an online compiler. It is very easy to write code and debug very fast. About 1.4 million users visit this site every month.
The special thing about Ideone is that it uses Sphere technology that allows executing the program on a remote server in a safe way. You can use it for free. It supports python 2.0, 3.0, and more than 60 other programming languages.
- Syntax highlighting
- You can avail your source code publicly and privately.
- provides details regarding the time taken for code execution, memory consumption, error notification, etc.
- free to share your code with your teammates.
- provide shortcuts where you don’t need to write more.
Website link:- Ideone
GeeksforGeeks and Tutorialspoint are those websites that are being visited by every programmer. It provides knowledge regarding computer science. Well, Tutorialspoint has also an online compiler. You can use it for free. About 35 million users visited this website every month. It supports both Python 2.x and 3.x.
- Users can write, compile and execute their code in the browser.
- provides facility to create and manage a project.
- shows errors in the code, syntax highlighting, downloading your source code, projects, etc.
Website link:- Tutorialspoint
This online compiler is especially for the python language. It is available in free and premium plan. In the free plan, you won’t get Jupyter notebook and Ipython support. Around 1 million users visit this website every month.
- It has included almost every tool.
- Offers 512 MB of free space (which is sufficient for beginners)
- supports python version 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6.
- Includes python libraries like Numpy, Scipy, BeautifulSoup, pycrypto, etc.
- Users can download and upload files from anywhere.
- Without any software installation or server, you can host or develop your website from your browser.
Website link:- Pythonanywhere
Every programmer is familiar with this website. It is one of the most popular compilers. People generally use it to solve coding problems for practice. Around 28,000 users visit HackerEarth every month. You will lots of benefits by using this.
- It supports Python 2 and 3 both.
- Each source code runs on a separate Amazon EC2 server under a sandbox environment.
- syntax highlighting
- allows users to collaborate live. It means users can see the code being edited by other users.
- user get their opportunity to show their capacity. According to the performance, users get hired by a technical firm through this website.
- shows information regarding execution time, memory, status details.
Website link:- HackerEarth
Jdoodle is an online compiler. The best thing about Jdoodle is that it executes the code online quickly. Around 67,000 users visit this website every month. You can use it for free with some limitations or use paid one.
- Provides some courses through which programmers can learn.
- Supports multiple programming languages.
- For python, it supports 2.x and 3.x.
- Display output on the same page.
- Users can share their source code via Jdoodle.
Website link:- Jdoodle
Every programmer is familiar with GeeksforGeeks. GeeksforGeeks is one of the best websites to learn to program. It provides IDE where programmers can write code and execute it. It is very lightweight and takes very little time to execute the code.
- In order to write the code, you don’t an account.
- You can change the theme to light mode or dark mode.
Website link:- GeeksforGeeks
You can pick any one of them to practice. Every python online compiler has its own features. Select the compiler according to your convenience and comfort. Online compilers make you more productive.
It gives you the opportunity to collaborate with others, participate in competitions, and get hired by tech firms. In the coming years, an offline compiler may become obsolete. Choose wisely which one is best for you?
If you have any question, let me now in the comment box.